Serving the community since 1948.
The YMCA collaborates with agencies and organizations such as Wayland Baptist University, City of Plainview, Covenant Hospital, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts and others to better serve the community.
The Plainview YMCA was chartered in 1948 when Clyde Seeley, Area Director, came to Plainview to begin work with the Gray-Y, Hi-Y and Tri-Hi-Y clubs in the schools. Col. Dan Pitt took Seeley’s place in 1950, and under his leadership the program of the YMCA greatly expanded.
Gerry Morse was hired as Executive Director in 1957 and served through 1959. Dwight Hanners was hired as Executive Director in 1959 & remained with the YMCA of Plainview until 1970. Among the early members of the Y’s Board of Directors were Oliver Bier, Manuel Ayers, Mrs. E.M. Osborne, Mrs. W.W. Schroeder and Dr. John Long. Dr. Long and Clarisse Manges served as lifetime board members of the Plainview YMCA until 2002 and 2006, respectively, with Mike Boster, Dr. Richard Morgan and Don Dickson currently serving in that capacity.
Capital campaigns launched for building projects
Several buildings in Plainview housed the YMCA. In July of 1960, Scott Simpson died and left an estate of 320 acres to his sister, Bessie Simpson. Upon her death in 1972, ownership of this land went to the Plainview YMCA. The eventual sale of this property allowed the board to purchase approximately nine acres of land on Ennis Street.
Jack Geyer was hired as Executive Director in 1973. Under his leadership, the YMCA launched an $850,000 capital campaign in 1977. Completed in a year, Phase I of the present facility was then built. Charlie Lord was hired as Executive Director in 1987, and the facility grew in membership, participation and budget. In June 1991, Richard Galle entered as Executive Director to direct a capital drive of $1.2 million to complete Phase II of construction which included a new gym; additional racquetball courts; a new aerobics center, weight room and nursery; and, an additional meeting room and all-purpose rooms. The expansion was completed in 1993. Daryl McAllister completed his term as Executive Director from February 2001 to August 2002, Jeri Strange was hired as the CEO in 2003 and served through 2007. Under her leadership, the Y grew in membership, participation and budget. She also led a $450,000 capital drive to renovate the pool, add ball fields, and parking.
Rob Wilkinson was hired in 2008, as CEO and served through 2018. Under Rob's leadership the Plainview YMCA experienced tremendous growth in membership, programs, facilities and fundraising. Some of the highlights included: budget growth to 1.6 million, membership growth to over 1900 units; program additions of volleyball, swim team, SilverSneakers, Y Tiger League Football, Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken Baseball, Little Dribblers Basketball, girls softball and the Lubbock based Adventure Guides Program. Rob was responsible for opening a health and wellness center in Tulia and Brownfield under the Plainview YMCA association umbrella. He led the Plainview Y through several facility renovation projects that enhanced the Y's operation and allowed the Y to better serve its members.
The Plainview YMCA is a member of the Plainview Area United Way, and both the national and international YMCA communities. It is governed by a 19-member board of directors, and is organized as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. The YMCA is a mission driven, value-based organization that emphasizes character development.